Welcome to daha – Daniel Harris' homepage...
I consult on communications and media.
Projects I'm working on:
- Freewheelers - International Travel Sharing
- Kendra Initiative - Open Media Marketplace
- Clipflo - Mobile Apps for Musicians in Developing Nations
- Vision to Reality Foundation - Tech Fund for Interoperability
- World Peace Now - Tools for Positive Social Change
- Patient Pacifist - 4 songs for you on Facebook or MySpace
Apple Mac OS X:
- Apple 8 Inch PowerBook
- Apple Mac OS X Wish List
- Dot Mac Clone
- Changing Application Font Sizes
- Why does software crash, freeze and hang?
Thoughts I'm having:
- [The Next Killer App] ;-)
- The Art Of Web Design
- My Best Eating Places In The World
- User Centric Computing
- Plaxo Setup Guide
- International IPhone
- How to be a Good Matchmaker for Your Friends
Things I've said:
- The question is not "Why am I here?". The question is "Why do I want to be here?"
- The question is not "Who am I?". The question is "Who do I want to be?"
- Life is the stuff you can't record.
- And the moral of the story is: always, always aim unrealistically high (and then a bit more)...
- Never rely on an prophesied impending crisis or disaster to justify your beautiful actions. You don't need excuses to do positive great things.
- Doing right stuff is much more fun than trying to right wrong stuff.
- If you're not with us... err... that must be another helping for me.
- I'm doing this for me.
- Fridge management: Sometimes the only way to get more in is to remove the shelves. More space through reducing structure and increasing flexibility. The self organising fridge.
- As long as I have avocados I'm alright.
- If you don't know what you want try triangulating what you don't want.
Things others have said:
- "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark." - Michelangelo Buonarroti
- "Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay
- "Its amazing how grimly we hold on to our misery, the energy we burn fuelling our anger. Amazing how one moment we can be snarling like a beast, then a few moments later forgetting what or why. Not hours of this, or days, or months or years of this, but decades. Lifetimes completely used up, given over to the pettiest of rancour and hatred. Finally, there is nothing here for death to take away" - Charles Bukowski
- "The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it, you think it's real, because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round and it has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud. And it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: 'Is this real? Or is this just a ride?' And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and they say 'Hey! Don't worry, don't be afraid - ever - because... this is just a ride.' And we kill those people. 'Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride! Shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry; look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real.' It's just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that - ever notice that? - and we let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter, because... it's just a ride, and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort. No worry. No job. No savings and money. Just a choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your door, buy bigger guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, into a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defense each year and, instead, spend it feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would do many times over - not one human being excluded - and we can explore space together, both inner and outer, forever. In peace." - Bill Hicks
- "For someone who has some crazy habits you talk a lot of sense" - Paul Stupple-Harris
- "Change is a good thing but just not right now" - Glenn White
- "One has only to accept a simple fact: Love of God and of others shows us the way. Our defects, our dangerous depths, our suppressed hatreds, our moments of weakness and desperation are all unimportant. If what we want to do is heal ourselves first, so that then we can go in search of our dreams, we will never reach paradise. If on the other hand, we accept all that is wrong about us and despite it, believe that we are deserving of a happy life then we will have thrown open an immense window that will allow Love to enter. Little by little our defects will disappear, because one who is happy can look at the world only with love the force that regenerates everything that exists in the Universe." Paulo Coelho, The Valkyries, Epilogue
- "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs
- "Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race" – Calvin Coolidge
- "I should have kept quiet" – João Pedro Taveira